Quality by Design: Convergence of Testing, Lean, Intelligence & Automation
Software has become a key business differentiator. As a result, organizations now expect software development teams to deliver more, and more innovative, software within shorter delivery cycles. To meet these demands, teams have turned to lean approaches, such as Agile, DevOps, and Continuous Delivery, to try to speed up the delivery life cycle. After accelerating other aspects of the delivery pipeline, teams typically find that their testing process is preventing them from achieving the expected benefits of their acceleration initiative. Testing and the overall quality process remain problematic for several key reasons.
Design is defined as having purpose, planning, or intention that exists or is thought to exist behind an action, fact, or a material outcome. And quality is defined as the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something. So, the question is how do you set a standard of excellence by design, while evolving into a fast-moving, adaptive organization?
As enticing as such a vision is, turning it into a reality can be challenging.
Building an organizational focus, enablers, teams, and capabilities aligned with the focus on Quality by Design offers unique opportunities for humanizing technology and for developing emotionally resonant products and services. Adopting this perspective isn’t easy. But doing so helps create a workplace where people want to be, one that responds quickly to changing business dynamics and empowers individual contributors.
Built on the theme of Quality by Design, this year the conference will be a display of ideas, experiments and experiences to explore challenges and suggest techniques and innovations to overcome the common challenges.
Emerging methodologies for Project management in Digital era
Srinivasan Mangadu, Subramanian Kubendran and Vinithra Ashok from Cognizant Technology Solutions.
Enterprise DevOps: Testable Business Value (TBV) driving Continuous Delivery & Deployment
Harsh Agrawal, Ashish Agrawal and Durgesh Joshi from Amdocs India.
- Training the system with a data model that considers factors influencing likelihood and impact of failure
- Calculating probability of failure using machine learning algorithms - Logistic Regression and Artificial Neural Network (ANN)
- Applying each algorithm on prior release information to determine the best technique for optimization
- Deploying AI driven intelligent test solution in CI/CD pipeline for greater efficiency
Assuring Quality at Speed through Predictive Analytics
Dattatreya Majumdar, Sayan Mukherjee and Sibsankar Majumder from Cognizant Technology Solutions.
Data validation framework in a modern era\’s challenging business environment
Prasenjit Ghosh, Vishal Bhandari and Abhisek Mohanty from Infosys Limited.
Vinod Sundararaju Antony, Vinoth Balasubramanian and Ankur Joshi from Cognizant Technology Solutions.
Effective Testing Strategy for Data Migrations
Sravan Kumar Konidena and Ganesh Kumar Singh from ADP India Pvt Ltd.
- Unavailability of complete & correct of data from source systems.
- Inability to use available data for deriving Business insights.
- Delayed / Missing Batch SLA’s.
- Obsolete data in the Database /Systems
- Takes too long for accessing / measure the Business Performance A further analysis uncovers following as the root causes in data quality and testing context:
- No Exhaustive coverage at all check points
- Missing defined Test strategies – esp.: Migration / Infrastructure upgrade
- Unavailability of QA Framework
- No exposure on Database objects validation
- Lack of Automation tools or accelerators It is a call–to-action for organizations to address the above Data Quality gaps and plan towards digital transformation. Thus, this document outlines - Challenges, exhaustive test approach, Defined Testing strategies, practices, QA framework and automation possibilities for adapting and achieving Greater Data Quality.
Data Warehouse Testing Best practices to improve and sustain Data Quality – Getting ready for Serious DevOps
Ajay Nalabhatla and Srihari Gopisetty from WellsFargo Indian Solutions Pvt Ltd.
Automated Test Execution and Reporting pluggable solution using JIRA
Banani Ghosh and Tanvi Dharmarha from Adobe Systems Pvt. Limited.
An Automated approach towards Dev-Ops based continuous Regression Testing for SAP Landscapes
Navneeth Kowdle and Akshay Mullick from Cognizant Technology Solution.
- Implementation of Behavioral Driven Development (BDD) with Open Source Tool stack of Ruby, Watir and Cucumber to embrace agile and improve Speed to Market achieved $514K savings with reduction in defect leakage in UAT/Production from 10% to less than 1%.
- Implementation of Continuous Integration(CI) with Jenkins for Unattended Execution – Achieved unattended execution of 11000+ scenarios and 190 Web Services on weekly basis for early defect detection
Open source tool based automation solution with BDD implementation and continuous integration-Jenkins
Arun Kumar Krishnan and Maria Afzal from Cognizant Technology Solutions.
aBAP – NextGen QA Delivery Gear
Abhishek Gandhi and Vishal Gadad from Cognizant Technology Solutions.
Transforming Automation to Artificial Intelligence
K Manohar Reddy and Rakesh Aradhya from Allscripts India Private limited.
- White-box Testing – Testing the core of the framework (e.g. automated unit testing of smart contracts using frameworks like Embark/Truffle/Dapple/Populus)
- Grey-box Testing - Testing integrations between Blockchain framework & applications (e.g. API Testing for validating access control, wallet balances etc)
- Black-box Testing - Testing of Blockchain application functionalities / business rules (e.g. issuance of crypto-currencies)
- Non-Functional Testing – Performance and security testing (e.g. validation of performance on pumping large transaction volume into the Blockchain network, secured Blockchain access, wallet signature etc.) Additionally, this paper will also explore areas such as Blockchain-as-a-Service, Blockchain Cloud, Blockchain IoT and their implications on Quality Assurance.
Quality Assurance in Blockchain
Arpan Sarkar and Jibendu Narayan Mazumder from Cognizant Technology Solutions.
- Effectiveness of the Algorithm/Logic
- Correctness of Implementation
- End to End Solution Accuracy
- Quality Bench Mark Cognitive solutions are often about optimization or better insights over the traditional models. There are no fixed boundaries or pass fail criteria. Taking an example of forecast projections, we use what we call the “Time Travel Technique” – where validations would be conducted against the actuals by moving back in time. Other techniques like cross validations with key performance indicators can also help test the accuracy. The closer you are to reality the better the predictions. There are no one-fits-all solutions available while addressing the “Non-testable programs”. Every such solution needs a unique test plan and methods to ensure that the primary objective of the Quality function is met – The solution provided meets the customer need.
Cognition in testing Cognitive Solutions
Sindu Vijayan and Vidhya Nandhini Paramanathan from Manhattan Associates.
Geoff explores industry-wide applications of Analytics and Machine Learning and takes an in-depth view into how this next generation of automation is being used to optimize Test operations. He identifies opportunities across the Engineering and Test landscape for the application of AI, ranging from the identification of high-value Test Cases and Test Configurations which streamlines regression testing to dynamically generating change-based regression test suites when time is not on your side. Most importantly, Geoff provides tips to prepare yourself in skillset and mindset so that you willingly embrace the application of Analytics in your Test operations."
What’s our job when the Machine does Testing?
Geoff Meyer from Dell EMC.
- Identifying the expected data set pattern for training the algorithm
- Tuning the algorithm to 100% accuracy on learning the expected data set Real time scenarios have been handpicked for illustrating how the above 2 challenges can be addressed. Once we address this challenges, rest becomes child play. Machine Learning Algorithms are rendered through languages like Java, Python & R. Illustrations in this paper are developed through Java. By extrapolating the ides to respective real time scenarios, the idea of leveraging Machine Learning for Test Data Management would become a reality. Intended audience for this paper would be Test Engineers, Test Leads, Test Managers, Test Architects & Test Consultants.
Machine Certified Test Data – Reality (or) Hype??
Muthu Venkatesh Sivakadatcham from Infosys Limited.
Performance Engineer – P2V Transformation
Hemant Kumar Choubey from Aricent Technology.
Strategizing Testing for Blockchain/Distributed Ledger Products
Hardik Verma from Capgemini.
Holistic Release Criteria
Sagar Bhagwat from PTC Inc.
Ramkumar Natarajan from Cognizant Technology Solutions.
Amplifying feedback through Microservices and Containers
Meghashyam Varanasi from Cognizant Technology Solution.
- Transforms organization culture away from an FTE based to Service Output based model / consumption based model, with clear ownership on both the requestor of the service & provider of services. Payment linked to successful outcome
- Predictable quality, Service price & Outcome through standardized Input, Output & tasks
- Engagement model standardization between Business & IT significantly reduces lead times associated with testing request to estimation approvals
- Service standardization to achieve common understanding and measure of success in delivering testing services • Complete predictability of service cost and service quality standards
- Continuous optimization of services committed
- Huge reduction in time, effort & cost to scope new service engagements
- Accurate estimate through use of historical data and statistical analysis tool
- Delivery risks transferred to service provider thereby driving the right behaviors from the partner organization
Statistical Analysis Based Service Catalogue
Raghu K T from Capgemini.
- What is Artificial Intelligence
- Some applications of AI
- How AI based systems work
- Languages used for AI programming
- Heuristic algorithms used in AI
- Models Used by AI Systems
- Prerequisites on using AI based system
- Data Cleansing & Standardization
- Integrating AI Based System with your Existing Systems
- Applications of AI in Software Testing
- Benefits of using AI in Software Testing
- Example of an actual AI enabled System for QA
- Conclusion and Recommendation
- References & Appendix
AI and Software Testing
Vikram Raghuwanshi from Capgemini.
- Availability of a mobile device performance testing framework for the testing community
- Can be controlled remotely as well via Push Notifications.
- Provides crash logs for troubleshooting
- Plug & Play SDK
- Centralized reporting dashboard
- Notifications & Alarms for production monitoring.
Device Performance Testing
Ashish Jindal from QA InfoTech.
2017 Posters Category
Fraud Prevention Using Robotic Process Automation And Cognitive Voice Recognition: Securing Everyday Transactions
Megha Venugopal and Aswin Natarajan from Deloitte Consulting.
Mapping Artificial Intelligence to Software Testing concepts
Sonam Srivastava and Abhinav Arya from Siemens Technology and Services Pvt Ltd.
How to Learn Your Client
Nivedita Sidramappa and Uma Pujari from Allscripts India LLP.
Swapnil Gupta and Rushikesh Prabhune from PTC Software.
How I Performance Test Digital website in a single day from end user perspective
Rajat Taheem from L&T Infotech ltd.
Database Testing in Azure Cloud
M V Sarath Kumar from Allscripts.
ZERO cost Performance Test Automation Design and Implementation– CI/CD
PardhaSaradhi D from Infosys.
“The Startup Way” Mobile Testing : Agile Method with Lean Approach
Joshane Kelsy from Chillr – Backwater Technology.
- Reduction inmanual effort
- Reduction inanalysis time
- On-demand development, deployment and availability of Virtual Service
- Service-Virtualization-as-a-service using CI tools
Accelerate DevOps with Service Virtualization
Srilekha Devaraj from Cognizant Technology Solution.
Building framework for Security Testing on mobile platform
Aranya Biswas from Capgemini.
Learn from Leaders
14 Plenary Key Notes by Gurus, 25 Best Practice Presentations, 10 Poster Presentations, 04 Knowledge Tracks, 15+ Tools & Automation Demonstrations, Pre-Conference & Post Conference Tutorials, Pre-Conference Webinars. All in 2 days.
Showcase & Demonstrate
Your practice, expertise, tools, technologies, technique, experiences, and opinions to a global audience of senior professionals and practitioners. Create awareness, and get feedback with a community of over 12,000+ professionals.
By contesting for the Best of Best Awards with 750+ best practices from over 300 organizations across 06+ countries. Winners of the Best of the Best – Testing Leadership Award get a featured speaker slot at QUEST 2018 in USA.
Meet, Interact & Network
Meet with over 800+ practitioners, International Experts, 100+ Leaders, Decision Makers, Influencers, and Thought Leaders in the field of Software Testing & Quality.
Explore & Partner
With individuals & organizations, expand your network influencers. Best place to find a new technology, new trend and new associates for your ideas and goals.
By influential speakers, quality practitioners, evangelists, who have experienced quality from other walks of life, and other lines of work from across the world.
Get Tested & Win
A Challenge, a puzzle, a contest and finally an award and recognition. We encourage you to test your knowledge through online assessments, and skills by testing future products and take home a host of prizes and goodies. STC has 15+ different awards to recognize excellence.
Explore the Future
At the technology & innovation show case by the leading technology providers in the field of Software Testing & Quality. Live labs and tool demonstration sessions for you to experience the amazing new developments from various technology companies.
By attending, promoting, supporting, debating, joining the discussions and helping others in gaining insights and right perspectives, and providing feedback to the individuals and organizations through both online and offline interventions.
Work Hard, Play Harder is the motto at STC 2017. The Gala Dinner, Best of the Best Awards Night, lightening sessions, contests, quizzes, competitions and mock paper presentations, are just some of the many avenues created to make the professionals show their lighter side as well.
Testing Leadership Awards (2017)
The Testing Leadership Award recognizes leadership and contribution in the field of software testing. It will provide impetus and encourage contribution to the testing processes, skills and principles that make testing an imperative part of the software development life cycle. It will also encourage breakthrough achievements and innovative approaches in the testing process that aim to make successful products and services in the IT Industry.
The Best of the Best Awards have been instituted to recognize practitioners for their excellence in the practice of Software Testing & Quality. Instituted in 1999, the awards have become an industry standard recognition for the practitioners.
This year, we received over 470 submissions from over 250+ organizations from 06+ countries to contest for the Testing Leadership Awards, 2017. After screening the submissions for relevance and appropriateness of content, 252 papers were shortlisted for regional rounds in 6 cities across India.
The regional rounds were hosted by Cognizant in Chennai, Deloitte in Mumbai, QA Infotech in Delhi, CGI in Bangalore and Capgemini in Pune. A Jury Board of over 40+ industry leaders evaluated each paper and finally gave opportunity to 34 best of the best papers at STC 2017 in Bangalore.
Winners of this year’s award ceremony conducted at STC 2017.
Quality Assurance in Blockchain
Arpan Sarkar & Jibendu Narayan Mazumder, Cognizant Technology Solutions
The paper illustrates techniques for assuring Blockchain: White-box Testing , Grey-box Testing -, Black-box Testing, Non-Functional Testing and areas such as Blockchain as a Service, Blockchain Cloud, Blockchain IoT and their implications on Quality Assurance.
1st Runner Up
AI and Software Testing
Vikram Raghuvanshi & Venkatesh Babu, Capgemini
This whitepaper gives an introduction to Artificial Intelligence; and how AI touches our lives on day to day basis. It also talks about the usage of AI in QA.
2nd Runner Up
Transforming Automation to Artificial Intelligence
K Manohar Reddy & Rakesh Aradhya, Allscripts India Private limited
This white paper will cover insights on how to build a test script along with test case design by using the ‘Automation Artificial Intelligence Framework’.
Mapping Artificial Intelligence to Software Testing concepts
Sonam Srivastava & Abhinav Arya, Siemens Technology and Services Pvt Ltd
Artificial Intelligence approaches, clubbed with automation can do wonders and fetch faster results for complex market demands. This paper presents the number of Artificial intelligence approaches, that can be used by in the Software testing environment. Keywords: Software Testing, Test Cases, Test data generation
Future of Testing in DevOps World
Wolfgang Platz, Founder & Chief Strategy Officer, Tricentis
In this keynote address, Wolfgang Platz, Tricentis Founder and Chief Strategy Officer, shares his vision of software testing in the digital future. Learn how enterprise application architectures and associated delivery models are changing, how testing must evolve to address these changes, and what testers can (and must) do to successfully navigate the road ahead.
If you are a provider of IT quality and/or testing tools and services, this is a great opportunity to reinforce your brand’s presence by being represented and making yourself known at STC 2018 through the sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities.
The conference features a two-day Exhibitor EXPO for “one-stop-shopping” of IT quality and testing tools, and services. Conference attendees can browse the exhibitor booths in the exhibition hall to gather information and speak with representatives from the vendor organizations. The Expo, gives sponsors direct access to conference delegates. Companies with software testing and development products and services will certainly benefit from direct sales interaction with this highly targeted and motivated audience.
The conference sponsors and exhibitors will host an EXPO reception on Thursday evening with conference attendees for additional networking opportunities.
Participation as a sponsor or exhibitor at this conference provides high visibility for your company. Your company’s name and logo will appear on the STC conference website. Secondly, your company’s name and logo will appear in all marketing materials for the conference which will be distributed to over 50,000 IT professionals across the India and globally. Lastly, your company will have direct contact with IT professionals attending the conference, which include management at all levels as well as practitioners who take information back to their companies that they gathered during the conference and Exhibitor EXPO. You can view past STC sponsors and exhibitors at STC 2017, STC 2015, STC 2014, STC 2013, and STC 2012.
We are now accepting requests for serving as a conference sponsor and/or participating in the Exhibitor EXPO. For more information please contact Pradeep Chennavajhula (email@example.com) for a detailed proposal.
August 30, 2018:
Submission of Author Intent Form.
September 09, 2018:
Submission of Final Paper/Practice/Tutorial & Copyright Release Form signed by all authors.
September 22, 2018:
Regional Qualifying Rounds.
September 29, 2018:
Announcement of results for Regional Qualifying Rounds.
November 17, 2018:
Submission of Final Presentation for the conference.
December 06-07, 2018:
18th Annual International Software Testing Conference (STC 2018).
Founder and HO
VP & Head CQ
Head – Quality Engineering
Chief Technology Officer
Chief Operating Officer
Founder & CEO
Prabhu Kogunde Matt
Co-Founder and CIO
JP Morgan Chase
SM Quality Engineering
Cognizant Quality Engineering & Assurance (QE&A) helps businesses succeed in digital with an industry-aligned digital assurance proposition. With 800+ clients across industry verticals and a global footprint, Cognizant is a recognized market leader in Quality Assurance. Cognizant’s deep business and technology expertise helps our clients drive quality at speed with Zero Touch QA. Cognizant’s QA Hub™ ecosystem accelerates innovation by bringing together partners and communities to get quality right, the first time.
Learn how Cognizant helps clients lead with digital at www.cognizant.com or follow us @Cognizant.
The Park Plaza, Sy #90/4 Marathahalli, Outer Ring Road, Munnekollalu Village | Bengaluru 560037 | India
Bangalore, the “Silicon Valley of India”, now officially known as Bengaluru, is situated in the southeast of the South Indian state of Karnataka.It is called the “Silicon Valley of India” because of the large number of Information Technology companies located in the city. As headquarters to 38% of global SEI-CMM Level 5 Companies, Bangalore’s place in the global IT map is prominent. Bengaluru’s Rs. 260,260 crore makes it a major economic center in India. Indeed, Bangalore is India’s fourth largest and fastest growing market. Bangalore’s per capita income of Rs. .49 lakh (US$ 1,160) is the highest for any Indian city. It is also known as the Garden City of India because of its climate, greenery and the presence of many public parks, including the Lal Bagh and Cubbon Park.
The Park Plaza epitomizes an urban Art of Living far exceeding other hotels in Bangalore. This 5 star deluxe hotel is strategically located, connecting travelers and guests to Bangalore’s IT hubs in Whitefield, Sarjapur and along the highway.
Boasting some of the most advanced and expansive facilities in the entire city, Park Plaza Bengaluru have an unbeatable venue for conferences in Bangalore. The venue is accentuated by grand design lines, full audiovisual support and urbane interiors, adding style and grandeur to the event.